Thursday, August 20, 2009

Frog Days of Summer

I was heading inside through the back door of my house this evening when a "blob" on an adjacent window caught my eye. Thinking I would need to find the bottle of Windex, I moved in for a closer look - and took a jump back when the blob moved.

The blob turned out to be a tiny frog (about an inch and a half long) clinging to the window with tiny suction cups at the end of splayed toes.

A tap on the window with my index finger sent the frog leaping for the protection of a plant on a nearby table. The frog and I engaged in a game of hide and seek for several minutes. The tiny creature leapt from the plant to the vinyl siding on the house, back to the plant, down to the leg of an outdoor chair, back to the siding, and back to the plant. I was finally able to encourage the little fellow to cling to my arm for a few moments.

I was pretty sure I was enjoying the company of a tree frog, and went to the internet to see if I was right (leaving the frog outside of course).

My research left me a little bewildered. While I was able to confirm my little friend was a tree frog, most of the articles I read stated tree frogs live in tropical climates. I never thought of Delaware as tropical.

Eventually I found an article that expanded the dwelling places of tree frogs to temperate as well as tropical climates.

Well, it has been ridiculously hazy, hot and humid of late - the kind of weather frequently referred to as the dog days of summer.

In my neck of the woods at least, I guess we need to change that phrase to the frog days of summer.

No comments: