Monday, August 31, 2009

Composed Cat

I stopped at the local produce stand for fresh fruits and veggies. After completing my purchase, I hopped in my car, followed the drive that loops behind the barn - and veered out of the way of a cat.

Not that the cat was running across the drive. No, this obviously well fed tabby cat was sunning itself in the middle of the driveway.

The cat turned its head to follow the progress of my vehicle, yawned, and went back to grooming.

That's the thing about cats. They always retain their composure.

A dog in the same situation would bark, jump, and raise a general ruckus.

Old tabby could have cared less. The glance the cat threw over its shoulder was the same aloof gaze that a queen might bestow on a wayward subject. A look that says let's get one thing straight here. I'm in charge. As long as we both understand that everything is good. Misbehave and I'll unleash my fury.

No comments: