Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Seeing Factor

With the return of lingering darkness in the morning (an inconvenience I'll willingly deal with in exchange for more light later in the day) I've noticed something amount road conditions.

When I can see the actual road surface ahead of me I discount the small bumps in the road. But in the pitch black, every bump registers as a potential car-eating pothole.

The past few mornings I have struggled to reassure myself that yawning cavities don't open for no reason - and I have wondered how it is I haven't noticed all of these uneven seams in the road before.

For the most part, those seams, divets, and bumps have been in existence for weeks if not longer, but the inability to see changes everything about perception.

It occurs to me this is true in many aspects of life. When I have a vision, a plan, I move forward with a fast paced determination. But when life opens a pothole in my path I tend to slow down and turn cautious.

Perhaps the hidden message in all of this is to keep the pedal to the metal and leave the potholes behind in the dust.

No comments: