Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Goose, Goose, Car

What does a goose see in a car?

I was wondering just that when I looked out the front window of my house to see my car surrounded by close to thirty geese.  The geese all stood staring at the car as though they were experiencing ultimate enlightenment.

Well, if was enlightenment they wanted.... with a chuckle I pulled the key fob from my pocket and pressed the lock button repeatedly causing the car horn to beep.

My expectation had been the geese would scatter in fearful dismay. Instead they cocked their heads first left, then right, and started crowding closer to the car.

Could it be the geese found the sound of the car horn an attraction?  Were they whispering in awe to one another, sharing the thrill of having discovered the perfect pitched "honk" they themselves had been striving for over generations?

I'll never know the answer to that question.  My neighbor chose that moment to scatter the remnants of a stale loaf of bread on his front stoop and the geese raced off to get first pickings.

No comments: