Thursday, March 17, 2011

Reporting Priority

Admittedly I'm not at my best first thing in the morning, so it took a few minutes to accept what I was seeing.

I started my day by logging on to the internet to get the latest update on the news from Japan. Ranked just beneath articles about devastation, nuclear fallout, and humanitarian crisis was ... could it really be?

Yes, someone had written an article addressing concerns that GPS might not be accurate now that Japan had shifted 13 feet.

When entire neighborhoods are gone, when people are fleeing crumbling structures,I don't know that there are going to be too many folks concerned they should have turned right one side street earlier. The street probably isn't there anyway.

I'm trying to picture the intrepid reporter who, feet propped on desk and fingers laced behind head, stares at the rectangular panels of the drop ceiling, ponders the crisis in Japan, worries over an angle for a story, and suddenly lurches upright saying  Oh my gosh, GPS might not work.

I'm guessing this would be the same reporter who was fired from the daily crossword puzzle desk.

No comments: