Thursday, October 7, 2010

Unidentified Running Objects

It wasn't a dead skunk in the middle of the road - because the eyes reflecting in the headlights were moving.

Whatever occupied the middle of the road was certainly bold. The glowing eyes were angling toward my car rather than away.

A tap of the brakes slowed the car enough for me to catch site of a white form on the shoulder keeping pace with my car. Thoughts of wolves and vampires flashed through my mind and for a moment I thought I was being stalked.

I envisioned the scenario. The as yet unidentified thing in the middle of the road would prevent passage. I would be forced to stop whereupon the beast to my right would leap on the hood of the car, gnashing and snarling at the windshield.

As it turned out leaning on my horn caused both creatures to retreat. But as I passed I clearly saw two dirty-white canines loping along the side of the road.

Ghost dogs, I thought. And the hair on the back of my neck stood up.

No comments: