Sunday, October 10, 2010

Crabby Feud

Saturday was one of those picture perfect post-summer days. So I was surprised to arrive at the beach and discover Motivated Mom and I would be the sole inhabitants.

Warm sun, soft breeze, rhythmic surf, it wasn't long before I was catching z's along with rays.

At the end of my cat nap, I stretched, yawned, and leapt straight up into the air.

Something frightful was happening. Mere feet from MY feet was a tangle of thrashing legs and clicking claws. A pair of crustaceans were locked in mortal combat.

I had never seen Ghost Crabs this large before. With small bodies and long, spindly legs their appearance was a cross between crab and tarantula.

The battle went back and forth, like a swashbuckling duel, until one crab retreated into its burrow and the other ran - in my direction before dropping into a burrow if its own.

All of which caused me to decide there was somewhere else I urgently needed to be.

No comments: