Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Unrefreshing Driving

My sister and her husband recently signed up for a defensive driving refresher course so they could get a discount on their auto insurance.

Good for them.

But..... there are hundreds of people I am sharing the roadways with every day who need to take this course, not for lower insurance, but to rediscover driving.

I'd like to think it's just Fahrenheit fallout but I suspect the trends I'm noticing go deeper than hot flashes.

An alarming number of people seem not to know that the little lever on the left side of their steering column does something other than control the high beams.

Equally disturbing is the number of folks who seem to have forgotten how to read - or have decided that highway hazard signs serve only ornamental purposes.

Given a multiple choice question of:

A diamond shape sign with the words Left Lane Closed Ahead means:

a) answer your cell phone
b) shift to the right lane
c) diamonds are forever
d) none of the above

I'm betting that 60% of the people would answer (a) or (c) and another 10% would answer (d)

No comments: