Monday, May 11, 2009

Double Shuttle

I was checking out the coverage of today's shuttle launch. The news correspondent pointed out that this was a rare instance when two shuttles were rolled out on launch pads at the same time.

Apparently there is a greater than normal possibility of something going wrong on this mission so NASA wanted to have a rescue vehicle ready to respond.

Now I know that redundancy is NASA's buzzword for safety, but if I were part of today's shuttle crew that second shuttle would not be giving me a warm fuzzy.

Today's report brought the words of a David Bowie song to mind - causing me to check to be sure the commander of today's mission wasn't named Tom.

(For those who aren't Bowie fans, the words are: ground control to Major Tom, your circuit's dead, there's something wrong)

Hopefully the second shuttle won't be needed and all will go well.

No comments: