Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bonanza

This morning I felt a little like Ben Cartwright hitching up the wagon for a trip into the big city.

The part of Delaware I live in is lovingly referred to as lower, slower, Delaware (LSD for short).
Sussex county is as far south in the state as one can get and life definitely has its own rhythm here.

Today I needed to be in the northernmost part of the state. I was leaving the seashore behind and heading to the land of gleaming office buildings where people feel an eternal pressing need to be someplace other than where they are.

My alarm went off in the wee hours of the morning and I loaded up my car with the day's supplies.

The trip started well. My vehicle was one of only a dozen on the roads. Midway through the drive the traffic thickened. In Wilmington, my destination, I added my horseless carriage to the miles long wagon train waiting to gain access to the city.

Actually I think a wagon train would have moved faster. If I had been Ben Cartwright I would have nudged my way to the front of the line and started organizing the morning chaos - then gone to give the sheriff and mayor a good chewing out about the unseemly congestion.

I've obviously lost my tolerance of big city traffic. I was glad when my business was completed and I could head back to the homestead.

No comments: