Sunday, December 4, 2011

To Read or E-read

I figured a Caribbean vacation would be the perfect opportunity to conduct an unofficial survey.

My survey involved e-readers (nooks, kindles, etc). I figured airline travel and the Caribbean beach scene would be a good indicator of the acceptance of e-readers. I was guessing no one wanted to carry more than than they had to when they traveled, and carrying one electronic device versus a stack of books would be viewed favorably by the general population.  (I, myself, had purchased an e-reader just before vacation to avoid the need for a separate suitcase just for books.)

My unofficial survey was conducted by observing the airline passengers and the chaise lounge occupants.  The results surprised me.

Of the folks who were reading, no more than 1 in 25 was using an e-reader.  The rest had opted to carry good old fashioned books with them. The paperback exchange library at the resort was as active a gathering point as ever.

I had expected to find I was a technological dinosaur for having waited so long to buy an e-reader. Instead I discovered I was ahead of the curve.

Although I now own an e-reader, given a choice for recreational reading when I'm not traveling I'll still choose to hold an honest-to-goodness book in my hands.  It feels good to know I'm in the majority on this.

No comments: