Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Looking for Light

This time of year sometimes leaves me feeling as though I have been banished to a world of darkness.

Much like those who comprised the Fellowship of the Ring were forced to find their way through the long dark of Moria by senses other than sight, I find myself feeling as though I make my way from one day to the next by nothing more than instinct.

Rising in darkness; heading off to work in dim, gray light; returning from work in darkness - its a wonder I recognize the change from one day to the next.

All this darkness lulls the mind into lethargy. Brain synapses fire more slowly, "aha" moments come more rarely, and previously enjoyable puzzles become traps with teeth.

Thank goodness for holiday decorations that bring cheer and feelings of comfort into our homes. - Now if I could  just convince Motivated Mom the Christmas Tree needs to stay up until the sun shines for longer than the working hours in the day.

No comments: