Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Shifting Roles

As I contemplate the upcoming quiet Christmas morning I find myself thinking back on Christmas visits to my grandparent's house and realize I'm on the cusp of having my home become the grandparents' house.

And while I'm totally okay with the quiet holiday morning, there's something about assuming the role of a grandparent at Christmas that I find just a little intimidating.  Perhaps it's because, as a child, I viewed my grandparents house as the holiday anchor - a place where the presence of family was valued above the exchanging of presents.

My grandparents' house was not decorated with the same splashes of color as my own home, but it was decorated just right - a muted display of celebration that said welcome to the holidays but more importantly welcome to those who enter this house.

It is the atmosphere I wish for my children and upcoming grandchild to now find in my home. Deciding to accept this mantle of responsibility has me thinking of the phrase... your mission, should you choose to accept it.

I find that I do choose to accept it.... while at the same time acknowledging that if I see it as a mission it will never work.

No comments: