Monday, December 5, 2011

Hidden Progress

Coming home from work tonight I realized what it is about Standard Time in December, January, and February that's so depressing.

Well, actually, there's about a dozen things about this time year that fail to float my boat - but I'll focus on just one for right now.

When I'm driving in the dark there's no sense of progress being made. Most familiar landmarks are lost behind a black veil which leads to whole portions of the drive being the equivalent of being stuck in a bottomless pit.

Perhaps I need to order a pair of those x-ray glasses that used to be advertised on the inside of Bazooka Bubble Gum wrappers. Then, just like Bazooka Joe, I could see hidden objects all along the roadside and be able to chart my progress.

Or perhaps we should make it mandatory that every home and business display Christmas lights from the middle on November through the end of March. Then a commuter such as I could track progress by the Santa on the roof versus the snowman on the front porch versus the icicle lights hanging from the rain gutters.

No comments: