Thursday, December 15, 2011

Changing Sets

Now that US troops are moving out, hotel chains are moving in.

That was the subject of a news report on Iraq the other day.  Even before the last of US troops have left Iraq, three different hotel chains are breaking ground on new hotels in Iraq.  The hoteliers sited world interest in archaeological artifacts to be found in the region (I guess these would be the ancient pottery and tools uncovered by the missiles, bombs, and artillery shells) as well as the desirable climate (yes it's 125 degrees - but its dry heat)

Hmmm... I don't know.... I wouldn't want to be the tourist strolling through desert ruins while the dust of retreating armies still hangs in the air.

I'm trying to figure out the business rationale on the part of the hotel chains.  Perhaps the CEO's of these chains have been spending too much time streaming movies.  We're not talking about a set change here. There is no director shouting that's a wrap and then instructing the stage crews to replace the battle backdrops with a nighttime skyline of the local restaurant district.

I think I'll just leave a visit to Iraq on my bucket list for now.

No comments: