Monday, June 20, 2011

Roadside Deer

It happened during my bike ride this evening. I was pedaling along checking out the flora and fauna when my attention was captured by a doe standing at the roadside some seventy feet ahead. I was in a sub division so it wasn't like the deer had been camouflaged by a treeline. There was a significant amount of grassy area to all sides of her (except for the street of course). Which made me wonder how I could not have seen the deer sooner.

Apparently the doe was wondering the same thing for she was staring at me as though I had just descended from the heavens. 

Deciding the best course of action was just to keep pedaling, I got close enough to see the deer's nostril twitching and her rear flanks tighten. With my own eyes locked on the black saucer-like eyes of the deer I thought perhaps I would get right up beside her.

Twenty feet, fifteen feet, ten... and then the doe simply wasn't there anymore. I never saw her eyes so much as blink, never saw her head turn away from me, yet somehow she was halfway to the distant trees before I could cover those last ten feet.

Had I blinked? I could have sworn not but obviously I had. Yet how, in a single blink, could the deer have covered forty feet?

Though I was disappointed not to have actually made it to within touching distance, I was thrilled to have come so close.

No comments: