Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Jogging Priorities

I've always considered jogging to be a questionable pursuit and have often stated the only time anyone would see me running farther than 100 feet would be if a carnivorous wild animal was hot on my heels.

During my drive home tonight I spotted a decidedly human form make a running dash from the shoulder to the grassy meridian of a divided four lane highway. After a pause to wait for a break in traffic coming from the north, the person hurried across another two lanes of asphalt.

The average vehicle speed on this particular highway is sixty-miles-per hour. As mine was one of the cars heading south at that speed, I was closing on the sprinter fairly quickly. By the time the running man reached the safety of the shoulder, I was near enough to make out all the details of his - jogging suit.

Just beyond the shoulder of the road was an athletic field. After putting two and two together I really had to question the priorities in the jogger's mind. How does one weigh the health benefits of running laps around a football field against the health risks of dashing across four lanes of high speed traffic and decide the benefits outweigh the risks? Cause when you really come down to it the options are - come home tired and sweaty or don't come home at all.

Personally, I'd go for option 3 - the cold beer

No comments: