Monday, June 6, 2011

Of Cars and Geese

It was not the way I wanted to start the workweek - sitting in stalled traffic. Cars were coming from the opposite direction as sporadically as vehicles in front of me were advancing. The knowledge that both sides of the road shared the hold up did little to relieve my anxiety.

When the truck blocking my view turned off,  I was able to see a parade of geese crossing the road. They came intermittently: ma and pa followed by two goslings, another couple with four youngsters, and still another set of parents followed by a whole train of furry children.

It seemed an entire community had decided the grass was greener on the other side of the highway and orderly evacuations were under way. Orderly in that the feathered and downy families were spaced just far enough apart that a couple of cars were able to creep forward between goose crossings.

When it was finally my turn at the front of the line of traffic, I waited as a proud mother and father strutted across the concrete roadway with two goslings in tow.  I wondered what the geese were more proud of - their children or their ability to bring tons of rolling steel to a halt.

No comments: