Sunday, June 19, 2011

The 400 Year Miracle

The Virginia license plate on the car in front of me had included something about 2007 being the 400th birthday of Jamestown.

And I got to thinking about how in only 400 years American's have gone from log huts with earthen floors to cell phones and personal computers.

As a kid, 400 years seemed an eternity to me. Now that I'm fifty-some years of age, I'm looking at 400 years being only a couple of generations.  Now I realize that in the days of early Jamestown a generation could come and go in 40 years. But if the average lifespan from then to now had been consistently 75 years, well - that would put crossing the Atlantic in sailing ships only four generations prior to crossing space in a rocket powered shuttle.

Looked at in that light, mankind's accomplishments are nothing short of miraculous.

No comments: