Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tracking the Miles

Distance measures have been on my mind today.

It started when I reset the odometer in my car to track the mileage to the new job and happened to notice that from my driveway to the first traffic light was exactly one-and-a-half miles. In a car it had taken virtually no time to cover the distance.

But then I thought back to being a kid when I and my friends would set off on summertime explorations. Back then the thought of covering a mile meant serious planning: getting Mom to pack a lunch, filling a canteen with water, and stuffing a half dozen pieces of Bazooka bubblegum into the pockets of my jeans. But then that mile usually included skipping stones over the wide part of the creek and catching water spiders and tadpoles.

After dinner this evening Motivated Mom and I resurrected our tradition of an evening walk.  By my estimation we covered nearly three miles and made the round trip without so much as a bottle of water let alone a backpack and a tent. Of course we were freshly fed.

No comments: