Monday, May 23, 2011

The Strategy of Development

I started a new job today and some folks found it odd that I didn't immediately identify a sweeping plan of action.

In earlier days I would have felt it important to make a statement right from the beginning - which I guess is what folks were expecting from me today. But I've come to realize that starting a new job is like starting a new game of chess - strategy is everything.

Workplace strategy goes far beyond randomly setting goals. Personalities, resources, and objectives need to be analyzed and weighed. Departmental success comes from nurturing a unified front rather than dragging along a ragtag unit.

My responsibility lies in matching the right team members to the critical tasks and providing the right tools. If I do my job well, everyone in our department will be well on their way to a common outcome long before I make any pronouncements.

No comments: