Monday, May 17, 2010

Morning Blaze

It was fortunate that I was approaching the fire station - because I could see a section of forest was on fire.

Above the underbrush and below the lowest branches, the spaces between the tree trunks were washed in a flaming orange/yellow.

I was about to turn into the driveway of the fire station when I realized the glow between the trees was constant - no flickering - no fluctuation in intensity - and suddenly I realized I was looking at the newly risen sun shining through the forest.

On an ordinary morning I might not have noticed, but this morning a storm front was moving in from the west. Above and behind me the sky was a boiling mass of black clouds. With that darkness as a contrast, the light coming from the east looked as intense as the glow inside of a glass blower's furnace.

I could have sat and watched for hours - but the ticking of a time clock mandated continued motion.

No comments: