Thursday, May 13, 2010

Counting Lilies

It started with a single lily.

Eleven years ago I planted a single Easter Lily in the garden of my home in Lancaster, PA after the holiday had passed. I was both pleasantly and genuinely surprised when the lily grew and bloomed the following year.

Pleasantly surprised to discover my green thumb extended beyond vegetable plants, and genuinely surprised to find the lily doesn't bloom anywhere near Easter when growing in a natural environment. In the Lancaster climate, the lily bloomed just in time for Fourth of July.

Encouraged by my success, I planted two more lilies the following year. By the fourth year, between new plantings and the natural tendency of the lily to multiply, I had fifteen plants. July 4th of that year I enjoyed dozens upon dozens of blossoms.

Forty white flowers in a small space was pleasing both to the eye and the nose, so when I moved to Delaware I dug the lilies up and took them with me.

We remained in our first Delaware home for only a year before moving just a mile down the road - and again I transplanted my lilies.

Last year I counted 105 simultaneous blossoms. Here in the lower part of Delaware, blooming season is the third week of June. I guess the climate is just enough warmer to bring the lily into earlier bloom.

This year the lilies are coming up in even thicker clusters than last year. I can hardly wait to enjoy the stunning visual impact and delightfully sweet aroma. Could 150 blossoms be possible?

No comments: