Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Unnatural Silence

I was struck this evening by the complete lack of noise when I walked out my back door.

There were no murmuring voices carrying from neighboring houses, no dogs barking, no doors slamming. Not a single automobile could be heard, neither was there the drone of an airplane engine. Not a bird chirped, not a leaf rustled, not a critter scurried.

Silent as a grave came to mind and I was suddenly anxious for even the annoying yap of the dog down the street. I stood willing some sound - any sound - to reach my ears, but none came.

Hurrying inside I was greeted by the stereo playing. Reassurance that the natural order of things had not been disrupted. I wondered if the outdoor world would still be unnaturally quiet should I step back across the threshold - then decided I didn't want to know.

No comments: