Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Chicken Answer

At last I have the answer to the age old question Why did the chicken cross the road?

The answer struck me just as I nearly struck a chicken yesterday. Chickens (plural) actually.

There were a pair of fowl strutting on the shoulder of the road in front of a nearby farm. They were busily foraging for food amidst the gravel when they suddenly decided there might be better pickings in the road itself. The very stretch of road that the tires of my car were eating up.

It was during my perfectly executed accident avoiding swerve that I noticed the wire mesh gate hanging ajar. The adrenaline surge of the near collision brought my surroundings into crystalline clarity and the unlatched gate shone with the promise of ancient knowledge. And in that moment of oneness - that instant of universal understanding - I knew the answer.

The chicken crossed the road because someone left the gate open.

No comments: