Friday, December 4, 2009

Sleepless in the City

I don't know how people who live in the city manage to sleep.

It's been a long time since I spent the night in a private home within city limits. I had forgotten that life in the city never stops.

I was fortunate to get a reprieve on my first night at College Dude's place in Pittsburgh. The city was dead on the eve of Thanksgiving. Things were so quiet that even College Dude remarked on the lack of noise.

But in the wee hours of Friday morning, the city's pulse returned. I was repeatedly awakened by night prowling pedestrians, horn-happy drivers, police cars, fire trucks, and med-evac helicopters.

After twenty-two years of country and suburbia living, it was impossible to ignore the racket.

I don't think I could have ignored the noise even if I had been an accomplished city dweller.

No comments: