Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Eskimo Chill

Blue sky, sunshine, scattered clouds, rolling surf.

Sounds like the perfect day at the beach doesn't it?

Indeed it was a great day for watching the ocean - from inside my toasty warm car.

Others, hardier than I, decided it was a great day for actually frolicking on the beach. Wind chills that would make an Eskimo shiver necessitated that said frolicking be conducted beneath multiple layers of clothing. Blue, red, and green parkas trimmed with white almost-fur were the attire of the day.

I watched a few people return from the water's edge with cherry red cheeks despite woolen scarves pulled up to their noses and wondered what they had been thinking before setting out for their stroll. Surely the angry howl of an untamed wind should have served as warning against a December sojourn.

The arrival of a family dressed in nothing more than long sleeve T-shirts, vests and earmuffs set my teeth to chattering. Despite the hot air blasting from the dashboard vents, I found myself shivering on behalf of the under clothed contingent and I abandoned the parking lot overlook in search of a steaming hot beverage.

No comments: