Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Rediscovered

I frequently hear it said that Christmas is for kids. It's true that Santa and gifts wrapped in colorful paper certainly capture the attention of children.

But traditions passed down through the years, gathering of family, and visits from friends make the holiday season special throughout our lives.

I very nearly didn't decorate our house this year. My ongoing search for full time employment had me feeling less than enthusiastic about the approaching holiday. Once the decorations were up, I found them to be more reminders of better times past than harbingers of hope.

But once College Dude and Language Lass arrived home to complete our family I realized how much I had to be grateful for.

Sitting in front of a blazing fire and brightly lit Christmas Tree, we were the family we have always been. A family that values being together and sharing love for one another. A family that appreciates both quiet companionship and jovial exchanges.

In this difficult year, I rediscovered Christmas for what it is meant to be. The celebration of family.

No comments: