Friday, November 14, 2008

Shadow Heart

I was so captivated by a flock of birds flying overhead the other day that I had to pull my car over to the side of the road lest I cause an accident.

The birds were small, some type of sparrow I would guess, and there were probably eighty of them in the flock.

As they flew, the distance between each bird constantly changed so that the flock was first condensed to a nearly solid mass - then expanded to a vaporous shadow stretching out to cover ten times the amount of space. This expansion and contraction continued with a constant, pulsing rhythm as the birds traversed the sky.

I could almost believe that I was not watching birds at all; rather a single living organism - like a giant shadowy heart- drifting purposefully through the air.

No comments: