Monday, November 10, 2008

Cooler weather

A recent news headline proclaimed the U.S. could well experience the coolest weather in ten years.

Cold weather and I get along about as well as a lion and a gazelle.

So colder than normal temperatures would mean I'd be dressing in layers and layers... and layers of clothing. I started running through a mental inventory of heavy socks, thermal underwear, flannel-lined pants, sweaters, sweatshirts, down vests, coats, hats, and gloves.

With current economic conditions already making my wallet feel about as heavy as a piece of dental floss, I pictured myself slurping down bowls of steaming soup while huddled beside a fire blazing in my fireplace.

Continuing to read the article, I was mulling over the practicality of shrink wrapping my entire house to minimize heat loss when a specific statistic in the report caught my attention.

The expected difference in average temperature between 1997 (the previous coolest year) and 2008 was 0.2 degrees.

WHAT!! A cooling alert has been posted for two tenths of a degree?! Isn't that a little like posting a tropical storm watch when a summer sun shower is passing through?

Maybe 0.2 degrees is an important statistic to someone - but keep the information in a science publication, not the daily newspapers.

Still - it will no doubt get colder in the coming months so I'll keep looking for my battery powered earmuffs.

No comments: