Friday, November 7, 2008

OMG 80B

I was watching the television show Mad Money tonight. The show is Jim Cramer's very unique approach to educating folks on investing in the stock market. Not that I have money to invest mind you. I just find the show interesting.

On tonight's show, one of the executives from Verizon was being interviewed. Mention was made that text messaging has been a significant money maker for Verizon. The Verizon exec was asked what the next big breakthrough would be.

As part of his response, the executive made reference to the fact that 8o billion text messages are sent every day.

80 BILLION?! I was sure I had misheard - but the guy repeated the number. I started trying to figure out how many test messages would have to be sent by each cell phone user in order for 80 billion messages to be generated. But since I haven't a clue how many active cell phones there are in the world, that proved to be a futile exercise.

Suffice it to say that there must be enough beams of some kind shooting through the atmosphere to make Scotty from Star Trek wet his pants. Captain, our shields aren't strong enough to enter earth's atmosphere. All those cell phones will damage the reactor core.

Wait. I think I have a way of backing into the total cell phone quantity. I figure Media Girl must be good for 1,500 text messages a day by herself. 80 billion text messages total sent by others like her would mean 530 million cell phone users around the world.

Wow, where I was when the first stock offering on cell phones came out?

No comments: