Thursday, April 19, 2012

Messages and Amazement

We associate phone calls at 3:00 a.m. in the morning with bad news.

But I suspected the text message I received in the wee hours of Monday was the equivalent of a stork making a practice run with baby bunting.

My instincts proved to be right.  Once I fumbled my eyeglasses onto my head, I read the news that Media Girl was in labor.  A little over three hours later I was on the phone learning that baby Myla had entered the world...and hearing of the agony of labor that led up to her birth.

Now that everyone is home, I'm amazed on multiple fronts.  Amazed that something over 8 pounds can just slip out of a person (although Media Girl may take issue with the word slip). Amazed that a person can be so small as to weigh less than 9 pounds.

Fingers barely thicker than pencil lead, toes smaller than erasers, and ears little bigger than the q-tips used to clean them. I had forgotten people came in this size and am amazed to think that Myla will one day stand at least chest high to me.

No comments: