Monday, April 23, 2012

It Looks Like an Outhouse

And all this time I thought the wooden structure was an outhouse. In my defense, it did meet all of the requirements - four feet square, six-and-a-half feet high, sloped roof, weathered boards, narrow door. An outhouse.

 I passed the thing every day and never once questioned by assumption of the building's purpose despite it being situated mere feet away from the shoulder of a divided highway.

It was the new door with a glass insert that caused me to reevaluate my assumptions. After all, a picture window is not a typical feature for a privy. That bright, newly hung door started me wondering just what purpose the small building served.

Today's morning rains brought the answer to my question. Just as the yellow lights of a school bus started flashing, the "outhouse" door flew open and a youngster with a bulging backpack darted from his shelter.

I thought back to the many mornings I was had to endure wet weather waiting for the bus and found myself envying the boy with his personal waiting room.

No comments: