Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Gator Power

After three days of a seemingly 'round the clock business conference, I decided some R&R was in order before packing up for the flight home. While my options were varied - swing by Disney World or Universal Studios for an evening, stroll the Florida beaches at sunset, visit the NASA facility - I opted for kayaking in the nearby lake.

The solitude was a welcome break after hours and hours of meetings. I was fascinated by turtles the size of SMART cars (well almost), egrets, and blue herons.  Nearly in a trance as my kayak drifted in the swath of light laid down across the water's surface by the lowering sun, I was more than a little startled when a log on the shoreline... moved.

The ensuing splashing and slapping made it clear to me that what I had taken to be a log was in fact an alligator now chasing its evening meal.  A chase that took the alligator directly under my kayak.

To anyone interested in improving their kayaking skills... I suggest putting yourself in the path of a hungry alligator.

I've no doubt I set a world record in crossing back to the other side of the lake where the man at the docks seemed more than a little surprised to see me coming in to the marina at a speed the match of a ten horsepower motor.

No comments: