Monday, February 6, 2012

Morning Stolen

Pale and small - that was the world this morning.

A heavy frost had stolen color from everything.  No matter where I looked I saw the same flat silver-gray.  Passing a cemetery I noticed the bleached ground was the same color as the headstones and monuments.  The world was sick - a patient spiraling to death.

The interior of my car shrunk - closing in the way I imagine the inside of a casket shrinks as the lid is closed.  Gray frost clung to the edges of the windows - the loss of those inches of clear class accenting out how little space there was between myself an the metal frame of the car.

It was then I noticed sound being stolen. The whine of tires on macadam was muffled; the hiss of passing cars a flat, dull, drone; the blare of a distant horn devoid of pitch.

They say February is the month in which suicides peak. Perhaps that's because February is the month in which the grave calls most loudly.

No comments: