Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Squirrel Memory

I was watching a squirrel scurry from place to place beneath the trees yesterday. Since he neither picked anything up in his paws nor put anything down, I figured he was taking inventory - making sure he remembered all of his hiding spots.

As I child, I accepted without question that a squirrel was able to commit all of his food stashes to memory.

As an adult I still accept a squirrel's abilities, but no longer without question. Because now that I have trouble remembering where I left my eyeglasses mere minutes after I set them down, I want to know how it is a squirrel can fund nuts weeks and months after burying them.

Ask me what I had for lunch last Wednesday, and the best answer I would be able to provide would be ... food. Yet a squirrel can apparently find that particularly double acorn that was buried twelve Wednesdays ago.

How do the squirrels do it? I really want to know because.....

Oh dear. I've forgotten what I was going to say.

No comments: