Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Shadow Side Up

I could have been watching a solar eclipse yesterday without the need for a piece of cardboard with a hole punched in it.

Not that there was a solar eclipse mind you. It's just that while I was driving into work, I realized I was staring directly at the morning sun without so much as lowering the sun visor or blinking my eyes.

With calendars now displaying the month of August, the humidity has thickened into a gray filter covering the entire dome of the sky. The effect is that of living beneath an inverted bowl with everything beyond the bowl mutated from its true appearance.

The sun, a muted orb in the sky, offered less light than a hundred-watt bulb. In truth it didn't look like any star from our solar system at all. Which had me contemplating for a few minutes if I was really even on Earth.

Then brake lights flashed on in rapid succession as inconsiderate drivers made last minute lane changes without the warning of a turn signal and I realized that regardless of how different the sky looked, I was still in the midst of the earthly bi-daily migration.

No comments: