Friday, August 13, 2010

Faces and Names

I have this thing with names. I have to speak with someone face to face four or five times before I can connect the name and the face.

As with every rule there are exceptions, but for the most part that's the way it is for me.

This evening I chanced upon the tail end of the Colbert Report. An artist was being interviewed. The artist was talking about a learning disability that prevents him from being able to remember a face. He made the comment that in a face to face meeting, every time the person the artist is speaking to moves their face as little as half an inch the artist sees an entirely new face.

Imagine! In a five minute meeting with a single person, this artist might see hundreds of unique faces and not be able to connect a single one of those faces with the person being addressed.

Now if I had to try to remember the names for all of those faces......

No comments: