Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dream'n of Wind

At one time or another we've all woken from a dream and wondered - Where in the heck did that come from?

There was no wondering on my part this morning after waking from an exhausting night struggling to keep a three masted schooner from running aground.

I spent the night manning the wooden steering wheel of the ship. You've seen the steering wheels in movies if nowhere else. A circle of carved oak some four feet in diameter with heavy wooden spindles running from the hub outward to provide hand holds.

The currents and the winds were against me the entire night. Every time I would steer away from land, the wind direction would change and once again the ship would be heading toward a rocky outcropping.

My cries for help went unheard, carried away by the same wind that buffeted the ship, made the canvas sails snap, and howled in my ears.

One of the heavy sails tore loose from the yardarm above and fell over top of me.

Panicked, I struggled awake and..... found myself wrapped in the bed sheet with the oscillating fan blowing on me at high speed.

No comments: