Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Year in a Leaf

The dried and withered tree leaf was coaxed across the back deck by a wind that dropped the temperature by an additional seven degrees.

And in that leaf I saw an entire year of seasons. I saw the oak tree with a web of fresh, spindly branches tipped by green buds. The vision morphed into a towering tree laden with hundreds of leaves casting shifting shadows on the ground below.  Those leaves changed from deep green to a blend of yellow, orange, and red. Then I saw the tree shaken bare by November winds - stripped of colored splendor the tree was little more than a skeleton with bony arms reaching upward.

Turning my back to the howling wind and studying the single leaf that had come to rest at my foot, I took comfort in the knowledge that the growing season moved closer with every passing day.

No comments: