Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Frozen Words

There have been more than a few short stories written in which the words spoken by characters in the story freeze in the air.

My first reading of such a story was in fourth grade. The temperatures dipped so low one winter that two neighbors living in cabins in the woods were forced to wait until the spring thaw to hear what the other had spoken while out of doors.

Obviously the story itself made an impression on me.  I called on Dr. Google to assist me in identifying the author and story title but to no avail.  Too many stories of a similar vein have been written since I carried textbooks bound together by a monster elastic band.

Walking outside this morning I was prepared to believe that remembered story wasn't a complete work of fiction after all.  Had I dared to open my mouth against the bitter cold and utter a single phrase I would not have been surprised had the air held my words captive until warmth returned to the world.

No comments: