Monday, July 16, 2012

Turtle Meets Turtle

I'm definitely not at my best early in the morning.  When I first roll out of the driveway during the workweek there's a fifty-fifty chance that I'll notice anything out of the ordinary.

So I nearly missed the creeping movement at the very edge of the speed bump just down the street. There, in the narrow shadow created by the just-risen sun, was a turtle working its way across the road.

Had I been coming from the other direction, I would have never seen the little guy and turtle soup would have been on the menu for sure.  Instead, I redirected the car to the far side of the road. Nevertheless the turtle froze in its tracks, lifted its head, and stared directly at my approaching car.

It occurred to me that the turtle was probably thinking this who crossing the road thing was a REALLY bad idea. Then I started to wonder just how the turtle perceived the car.  I drive a Honda Civic and with a little imagination the car could be an enormous turtle - low to the ground, arched shell...err roof line, four dark tires that might be feet.

So the little guy might have been ecstatic rather than terrified. He might have believed he had reached spiritual enlightenment and was tuned in to the great turtle god in the sky.

No comments: