Thursday, July 19, 2012

Lucifer by Another Name

Folks of certain religious persuasions are frequently surprised to learn that the latin word lucifer means light bringer; and wonder how light bringer came to be associated with the devil.

I think I gained some insight on that last night.  Heading home I was thankful to drive into a torrential rain falling from a purple-black sky. I thought sure the weather promised a break in the latest heat wave. But only minutes after the rain started falling an orange-red light filtered through seams in the clouds. Not even the blackest of clouds could stand against orb that glowed furnace hot - hot as hades - and soon the closing day returned to blazing temperatures now accompanied by rising steam.

So in the sense that the bringing of light can equate to the bringing of stifling heat, I suppose lucifer is a fitting name for the prince of hellfire.

No comments: