Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Dreams You Dream

It's a wonder we ever manage to wake from a might of sleep feeling rested.

It seems the average person has 1,460 dreams a year or four dreams per night on average.  Which got me wondering how long the average dream is?  So I consulted Dr. Google.  After all if someone took the time to count the average number of dreams in a year it only follows that someone also studied how long a dream lasts.

Turns out dream times are as individual as the dreamer - but in between each dream we go on a roller coaster ride through sleep stages ranging from near wakening to totally oblivious. Which is sort of like enduring an Iron Man triathalon four times over. Near awake, deep asleep, dream, totally oblivious, rising to near awake, deep asleep.... well you get the idea.

Makes me tired just thinking about it.  I better get to bed a few hours earlier tonight to compensate...or will I only end up churning through one more cycle?

No comments: