Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Trip Across the Recent Universe

If you grew up in the 60's and early 70's, and if you like Beatles music, then you have to see the movie Across the Universe.

No, you won't find it playing in a theater near you - unless you're fortunate enough to live near a theater that offers late night movie fests of past oldies but goodies.

Across the Universe was a 2007 movie release that just happened to recently come my way in a Netflix envelope.  I had seen a brief preview many weeks back but wasn't really sure what to expect when I popped the DVD in the player.

I was quickly transported back to memories of alternative lifestyles, student demonstrations, and underground newspapers - and found myself wondering what happened to the generation that dared to call the government to task?

It seems we've allowed ourselves to be trained to be acceptably compliant to the mechanisms of Big Brother. Which I have to say is a bit of a surprise considering the gears of those mechanisms certainly aren't meshing properly.

Yes, there were the recent Wall Street protests which looked promising early on but ultimately fizzled out.

I guess the difference today is.... there is no one thing to point to as being the culprit. So many things are broken in so many places that the thought of structuring an appropriate revolution leaves your head spinning.

Which I guess makes it appropriate that I found my stress relief this past weekend in the form of a spinning DVD.

No comments: