Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Redhead Pain

There I was in the dentist chair getting my second mega-dose of Novocaine before allowing the dentist to drill out an old filling when the dentist asked.... were you a redhead as a child?

My affirmative nod brought an Ahhhhhhh from the dentist.

Ahhhh? I asked as soon as the silver hypodermic had been pulled from my mouth.

My dentist proceeded to explain how studies have shown that redheads have 30 percent more pain receptors than any other part of the population and require more anesthetic to deaden those receptors.

On my drive home I considered how the whole pain receptor thing goes far beyond the dentist chair.

Redheads, mostly light complexioned, are far more prone to sunburn. Once beet red, those same redheads have an extra heaping helping of pain receptors to carry that sunburn pain to the brain.

Life just isn't fair sometimes.

No comments: