Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ever since that cozy little house led to a blog back on May 2nd, cottages have been on my mind.

I was thinking today about thatched roofs.  In photographs, paintings, and movies, cottages with thatched roofs project a greater coziness than compact homes capped with slate or fiberglass shingles. I couldn't quite put my finger on why, until.....

It occurred to me that those thick roofs with rounded corners resemble a fluffy down comforter. And like a comforter, a thatched roof is an invitation to slip into a cozy cocoon.

I have the sense that I can count on a thatched roof cottage to offer a toasty fireplace, furniture I can sink into, and a pantry filled with home-canned foods. Calm will be encouraged by not-too-bright lights, pets curled into corners, and music spewing quietly from a refurbished Victrola.

In short, a thatched roof calls out peace and contentment.


No comments: