Sunday, May 13, 2012

Can"t Go Back Again

I tried to go back...to relive my teenage fascination with the soap opera Dark Shadows.

Having stumbled across a discounted DVD of select episodes of the TV series, I could barely wait to get home and step back into the goings on at Collinswood.

Settled into my recliner with the room lighting to an appropriately low mood setting, I pressed PLAY on the remote control.

And there it was, the Gothic lettered words Dark Shadows appeared on the screen accompanied by the melodramatic opening music. 

For a moment I was back in my parents living room, sitting cross legged on the carpet, anxious to be drawn into the latest hazards in the lives of the Collins family. What would it be this time - vampires, werewolves, ghosts?

The opening credits gave way to the the foyer of the Collins' mansion.  Barnabas Collins walked in and....

The most horrendous dialogue I have ever heard spewed from the television speaker. 

I couldn't believe it.  How could I ever have been obsessed with this?  Hoping against hope things would improve, I let the DVD play on.  Alas not even my adult beverage could make the scene palatable.

With disappointment and a sense of loss, I returned the DVD to its plastic case... much as Barnabas Collins was forced to return to his casket every morning.

Perhaps one day......

No comments: