Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Misplaced Greeting

The structure itself was unremarkable, an oblong single story affair that looked to be a cross between a private home and an army barrack.

The faded and peeling paint, sagging shutters, and electrical service box from which the meter had been removed all spoke of an abandoned building.

And yet... a wreath of dried flowers hung inside the storm door.  It was the wreath, illuminated by the lowering sun that had caught my eye. 

The house, office building, barrack - whatever it was -  sits on the corner of an intersection that I pass frequently. And though I'm sure I've noticed the building before, I never really saw it until that wreath caught my eye.

The wreath suggested the rest of the building was wrong. There should be electric feeding a building with a wreath on the door. People should either be living or working in a building with a wreath on the door.

I found myself wondering just what had happened here that the building should be abandoned while a floral wreath still offered a welcoming greeting.

No comments: