Thursday, March 8, 2012

Embracing Chaos... and a Short Commercial Break

The art of zen is finding structure in chaos.  Which means sometimes you just chuck the agenda and go with the flow.

Which was just what I did tonight. Though there were things to be done after work, they all went in the trash can.  Because an outdoor temperature of seventy degrees on March 8 comes once in a blue moon.

And while in embracing chaos I didn't experience a blue moon.... my disregard of agendas did bring me face to face with the moon.

My spur of the moment decision took me directly from work to the beach. I was intending only to stroll the boards, but once within sight of the ocean I knew I was going right to the water's edge. I walked the beach until the sun had gone from the sky and the first stars twinkled into view.

Lost in thought... thinking of nothing and everything... I continued my shoreline journey in the dark until a distant light caught my eye. There, on the horizon where sea meets sky, an orange full moon was rising.

Planting my feet, turning so my face was pointed directly to the face of the rising moon, I existed solely in the moment. There were no thoughts of what had been accomplished or still needed to be done. No awareness of the few others I had earlier noticed on the beach.  There was only me, the sea, and the moon.

And in that moment I knew zen.

I'll be away from the blogosphere for a bit... throwing a little more chaos into the cosmos.... look of a new post somewhere around March 14.

No comments: